Monday, April 4, 2011

Bills, Bills, Bills

The medical bills are beginning to roll in and are about $8,500 for the procedure. My insurance covers everything except for a $250 deductible.

I know that my procedure is a bit more expensive for two reasons: First, I had the procedure in a fancy urban hospital. Second, I was in my second trimester.

My decision to do the two-day procedure at the hospital was primarily impacted by both my former and my new OB/GYNE recommending this particular hospital. One OB/GYNE had just sent a physician friend there for a surgical abortion, and the other OB/GYNE explained that this hospital's ultrasound team (a key component of a second trimester abortion so the physicians can best see the surgery as they perform it) is top-notch.

I remember when I first called the hospital's family planning clinic to begin scheduling appointments, their administrator explained that surgical procedures after 13 weeks can top $10,000. She told me this fact before we knew whether my insurance would cover the procedure. I spent the rest of the day waiting, worrying and wondering what my options were if I was not covered. I am incredibly thankful for my insurance.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't use my insurance, plus it wouldn't have covered it anyway. They don't even want to cover the NuvaRing as birth control. The only BC they will cover is oral. And I don't trust oral BC.
    Thank the lord my procedure (having been done incredibly early and at Planned Parenthood) was only $300, WITH the anesthetic. Plus I got my first NuvaRing free. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, free NuvaRings!! I'd be interested to hear how you like the ring. I've heard lots of different experiences. It was the only other BC option my old gene recommended to me when I said I wanted off the pill, though we couldn't start it because I was having monthly infections at the time. Instead I went on the 3-month cycle with the pill...

    And yeah. I don't trust oral BC either. I got pregnant during my period, but it certainly seems it would have been much less likely to happen had I been on the shot, ring or had an IUD...

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. I think it's awesome and right that you had Planned Parenthood as an option without insurance! I'd be really curious to hear about your experience at PP. I think there's such a stigma--not to mention fear of the hate-mongering protestors--that many women shy away if they could go elsewhere. I'm very curious.

    ReplyDelete

Negative comments will be deleted.