Sunday, March 27, 2011

Complication Update 4 - Day 3

That Misoprostol kicked in with a vengeance last night around 3 AM. Literally bolted straight up in bed, clutching my abdomen. The cramps quickly passed, but I didn't bleed very much.

Today, there has been occassional cramping and very little bleeding. I haven't passed any clots since yesterday.

I had my regularly scheduled follow-up tomorrow morning, and I assume that it will now focus on whether my uterus has been completely evacuated. I emailed my supervisor and shared with her my latest update, just in case this complication is... more complicated.... and I need to take additional time off work.

My hope had been to talk more at length with the head nurse tomorrow about the various ways I felt frustrated by the disorganization and miscommunication on my surgery day, but it seems like there'll be more important things to discuss and not a whole ton of time to review what happened. At any rate, I'm hoping that the dropped off cramping and bleeding is a sign that things are good, and my uterus is evacuated. Fingers crossed!

3 comments:

  1. You are in my thoughts. :)
    This really sucks, man. I mean, what are the chances! I think you mentioned in one of your first complications posts, how the chances seem to be working against you at every turn.
    Good luck, I hope all goes well. <3
    Also, try and push about the disorganization. I mean, who knows, maybe that had a little bit to do with the complications now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! :) It sounds like everything is good now. I knew that the intense and crazy cramping from Friday night was not all for naught.

    I did push about the disorganization like you suggested, and I felt like I had a good explanation and apology from the OB/GYNE team. Nothing at this point can fix what happened, but their words helped. So much of what bothered me too was the nursing staff, but that's another ball of wax.

    I think I will eventually ask for my charts from the hospital's medical records to get a more clinical look at what the procedure was like.

    Based on everything that's happened since my complication started, it was most likely not leftover tissue and more likely blood clots.

    The other possibility is that a tiny, miniscule amount of tissue was left and then swollen with a blood clot into a larger size. Cause there is basically NO WAY they left six centimeters of tissue in my uterus. That'd be f'n crazy.

    At any rate, I wish I had held onto the insane clot I passed on Friday night. I could have apparently determined whether it was tissue or blood with a few tests. (Dropping it in water apparently works...) Wish I'd known!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to hear everything is back on track!

    That is insanely fascinating about the blood clot /water thing!

    And I am so glad the OBGYNE staff apologized. It's nice when they own up to something that, although unavoidable, was more than a small bother to you.

    ReplyDelete

Negative comments will be deleted.